Search This Blog

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Not an Instant Love Affair

I seemed to have aroused some concern that Florence hasn't been an instant great love affair for me.  Please remember I had been traveling for six weeks when I arrived here.  I had a right to be tired.

Mostly I just didn't choose the right location for me but how could I know when I made my arrangements all those months ago in Boulder.  It's a great location during the day and I enjoy being able to walk around in the evening and feel safe.  The numbers of people here are overwhelming. In my estimation, it's greater than Rome was a few weeks ago.  But the worst is that at night, the partying goes on till 3-4 o'clock in the morning and it sounds like they're right in my bedroom with me.  Along with the partying are sirens, whistles and fights.  I just like to sleep at night.  And, of course, I'm having challenges with the language but that just adds to the adventure.



All that aside, I have been enjoying myself and actually have fallen in love with the River Arno and the district known as Santo Spirito.  Today, I walked for hours and hours through the outskirts of Santo Spirito.  The sun was shining  That alone has been a change since it's been raining or cloudy most everyday since I arrived.  In Santo Spirito, I felt a peace in my heart that I've never felt before and if I had millions of euro I could live here for the rest of my life.


 And the light playing off the River Arno is exquisite at just about any time of the day.











or evening.






and I have been sightseeing in Florence proper too.




Some of it has been from afar.









and some of it has been up close and personal.  Where else but Italy could a guy get away this get up?














And then I met Enrique.

Yes, Florence is most definitely growing on me!!!    :)

No comments: