Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Downtime

Florence was a shock for me.  I don't know what I expected but this wasn't it.  I went into withdrawal when I arrived. Like an uneducated fool, I thought tourist season was over.  It's not!  It's worse than Rome.  Spending most of the time inside my apartment.

Have been here about 78 hours and slept for about 50 of them.  The other time has been spent doing my laundry in a washing machine that holds 2 pair of pants and a shirt.  Yes, that's it very conveniently located next to the shower and behind the toilet.  But hey, it's better than the bidet.

Tonight I went out for a walk and found that it's much nicer and more quiet in the evening.  It's also great to be able to feel safe to go out after dark.  The Ponte Vecchio and other bridges crossing the Arno are quite beautiful.  Next time I'll take my camera.   I stopped for dinner in a trattoria a few blocks away from the crowds and chatted with Marie Yvonne and Claude from France.  I was the only single in the restaurant and probably the only single in all of Florence.  Although, on my afternoon walk, I did meet Luca.  I got lost and he pointed me in the right direction.  He invited me for coffee but I declined.  He insisted.  I declined.  He gave me his phone number when I wouldn't give him mine or tell him where I am staying.  Italian men are persistent.  I'm not sure how old he is but his hair is still on his head and fully dark.  I'm guessing the age of my sons.  I wish I could say I was cavalier enough to go with him even just for coffee, but I'm not.  My big adventure is that I made an appointment to get my hair cut and colored tomorrow.  My la dolce vita!!!!




 

No comments: